Good morning, music lovers!
I recently had the chance to speak with SHALLOW POOLS about their band and their music. Shallow Pools is an alternative/pop rock band made up of three amazingly talented female musicians out of Massachusetts and they’re definitely a band to keep your eye on! Check out the interview and their social media links below:
- Can you introduce yourselves and describe your roles in the band?
Jess plays guitar, Ali plays drums and Glynnis sings and plays bass!
- How would you describe your sound?
We’re definitely a mix of pop rock and alternative!
- What made you decide to transition from playing acoustic covers to playing originals?
We started out playing acoustic covers for fun. Once we started getting more serious and playing in front of small crowds, we realized that we wanted to be playing our own music. We just had to learn to play together first before we could start writing together!
- What was the songwriting process like?
Jess usually comes up with guitar parts first, and then the drums and bass come after. We almost always work on melodies and lyrics last after we have a solid instrumental! We do rearrange things in the studio, but we like to have a good demo before we record.
- How important is it for you to draw inspiration from your own experiences in your music?
It’s definitely important! We feel more connected to these songs than any of our old songs because the lyrics are much more personal. Hopefully other people can relate to these songs and connect with them too!
- I love seeing a band made up of strong, talented women. How gratifying has it been to see the support for shallow pools so far, and to break that stigma that alternative bands are mostly comprised of men?
It’s amazing! We’ve had a lot of people approach us after our shows and they seem really excited about our music. Seeing young girls especially getting excited and asking for photos and autographs is the most gratifying feeling. We’re glad that we get to play a small part in breaking the stigma. There are SO MANY talented women playing alternative music and we’ve been lucky enough to meet a lot of them through playing shows.
- What would you like listeners to take away from your music and from you as a band?
We hope that listeners can relate to our songs and find comfort in knowing that other people go through similar experiences. We also want people to know that we really want our shows to be inclusive and welcoming spaces.
- Do you have any upcoming projects or plans for shallow pools that fans should be on the lookout for?
Our next single “Sinking” is coming out 8/24 and hopefully an EP in the fall! We have a bunch of shows booked over the next few months and all of the dates can be found on our social media!
- Where can fans find you online?
A lot of places!!
iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify
Facebook : shallow pools
YouTube: shallow pools